WOULD YOU LIKE TO JOIN BADS COUNCIL?
BADS is a registered charity and Limited Company, its aim being to promote excellence in day-case and short-stay surgery via educational activities, including its publications, an annual conference, one-day virtual meetings and supportive collaborations with other national bodies endorsing day surgery. BADS Council oversees these activities and its membership reflects the multi-disciplinary nature of the Association, comprising of surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses, allied health professionals and lay members with an interest in day surgery. The Council is comprised of ordinary and lay members, 'taster' positions and representatives from other health professional associations. Expressions of interest in applying to become a Council member are welcomed and encouraged.
The two BADS Council membership categories for which applications are advertised are:
Ordinary BADS Council Membership
- Appointment and term of office
The term is for 3 years. At completion, members can apply for re-election for a further 3 years or stand down. The number of vacancies for ordinary Council members varies by year. If expressions of interest exceed the number advertised, there is a formal election process among our Association membership.
- Person Specification
The applicant must be a current BADS member and have evidence of contributions to day surgery development locally, regionally or nationally (eg., research, management, service delivery).
- Key Responsibilities
Tasks as part of normal running of the Council, its educational activities and workstreams.
The role is unpaid but reasonable expenses for travel and accommodation costs are reimbursed.
- Time Commitment
- Council meetings are held in February, May, September and November at the Royal College of Surgeons of England, London but virtual attendance is acceptable. At a minimum, 3 meetings must be attended per year.
- An additional Council meeting is held in June, the afternoon before the BADS Annual Conference, the members are expected to attend in person.
- Annual Conference attendance requires 2 nights away from home and a third day or part of it, depending on the location, to allow for travel.
- Reading and preparation for Council meetings require the equivalent of 2 days per annum, in addition to time spent attending meetings on behalf of BADS or additional workstream tasks.
BADS Council 'Taster' Membership
- This is offered to BADS members who wish to spend time on the Council to see if they would like to stand for election as an ordinary member at some stage in the future. The term is for one year and 2 vacancies are advertised annually.
- If expressions of interest exceed the number advertised, selection will be made by BADS Council based on the merit of the applications and speciality background in order to ensure representation of BADS membership interests.
- The person specification, responsibilities, expenses and time commitment are as for an ordinary Council member, above, with the exception that it is a non-voting position. You will be supported by other Council members.
Submitting an Application
- For both Council membership categories, formal applications are invited in February/March of each year and successful applicants commence their tenure from September. If you are interested or have any queries, we would be pleased to hear from you at any time.
- To register your interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a short biography (maximum of 200 words) stating relevant experience to fulfil the role and reasons for wishing to join Council.
The closing date for applications is Friday 21st April 2023. Successful candidates are announced at the June annual conference and take up their position from the September Council meeting (15th September 2023).
Miss Jo Marsden
President, The British Association of Day Surgery